This post is based on my field study that I did conduct last three months for the year 2014. You may seem not to approve some of this idea, but please correct me if I am wrong. Most of the things contain here were based on my own opinion. I am very welcome to some ideas that you may share on this subject matter. Thank you and hope it will be a help for those people in search for the same studies.
SCHOOL FACILITIES CHECKLIST
Familiarize yourself with the different areas and facilities of the school. Check the column to indicate their availability. Give a brief description of those that are available on the last column.
|Office of the Principal||The Principal’s office isn’t in a one room type. Her desk is located along with the faculty room, only a divider that makes it separate from among the faculties’ desk.|
|Library||The library is somehow well equipped and very far from the playing ground of the students, which makes the place conducive for studying, and doing some home works or any school work.|
|Counselling Room||The counselling or guidance room is located near the gate. The place were lacking of some materials which can be used in guiding the student. However, since the place is open and near the gate, I didn’t find it very well in terms of giving advices to a certain student due to its noisy background from the car that is going in and out the school and even in the highway.|
|Canteen/Cafeteria||The place is kind of messy; when I got there, the chair weren’t arranged. The school supplies weren’t well organized, the food seems to be more on junk foods.|
|Medical Clinic||This room is located in the administrative office along with their admin. They have good personnel that were assigned in there, a registered nurse! The materials were well segregated, and clean.|
|Audio Visual/Media Center||They don’t have this room, but the supplies and need for these equipments were located at their library.|
|Science Laboratory||They don’t have this room, but the tools for science were located at their library.|
|Gymnasium||They have this but not like any extravagant type of a Gym. A very wide open area.|
|Home Economics Room|
|Industrial Workshop Area|
|Comfort Room for Boys||The Comfort Room were well maintained. But the only thing is that some of the door located in this place were somehow not in good condition. Repairs to some of it are needed.|
|Comfort Room for Girls||The Comfort Room were well maintained. But the only thing is that some of the door located in this place were somehow not in good condition. Repairs to some of it are needed.|
|Others (Please Specify)|
|Prayer Room||Prayer room for an Islamic school is needed for spiritual aspect. The school has this, where in it is well ventilated and clean. The area is wide enough in order to accommodate more people in times of prayer.|
|Cashier’s Office||This office is somehow small, but I guess it can accommodate all queries that relates to them.|
|Registrar’s Office||They have the same area with that of the Cashier’s office. Documents are well arranged, and can entertain a certain number of clients in a span of time.|
|Computer Laboratory||The computers are well arranged through divider. This room is available for the computer class in elementary and high school. As well as available for the students who need to use it for assignments and other activities in relation to their studies.|
Write your observation report here.
Date of Visit: January 19, 1014
Before going to a certain school, I was thinking of going to Dansalan College to conduct my observation in our Field Studies, but then, I heard from my co-classmates that they don’t allow this kind of thing in there, and I decided to go to AKIC-SLS instead. That Sunday, I did go at their main building located at Basak Malutlut, Marawi City, and there I got the chance to meet with their HR Head, Ms. Khaireia Umpa Galleto. I did explain her about the reason why I am there, and she advised me to write a letter address to their dean, in order to ask permission. However, it was so unfortunate that Sir Ibrahim A. Mamao, their College Dean, weren’t there due to a certain meeting. On that day, she asked me what level I was planning to observe, and I did mention to her, that I preferably go with the secondary level. To my surprise, with a pleasing personality, she indeed recommends me to go to their Elementary and Secondary section, where it is located a few kilometres from there. She mentions to approach Mrs. Imelda Mamangconi, the Principal of AKIC SLS, and tell her about my concern. Doing it without a further ado, I directly went there and handed down my letter that Sunday Morning.
On that Afternoon, I did go back there together with my co-classmates to start our observation. We indeed talk to the principal and to my surprise, she is very accommodating. She indeed welcomes us in a very friendly way, and did mention that their school is very open to some students who are willing to observe and be part of their academic purpose. From the way the principle showed us kindness, I felt that we did a right choice of choosing a school. I also got the confidence to do these studies at their school because of the courtesy she did show us. She even let us choose, what level we should be in, and recommended the best section among the school. We were accompanied by an elementary teacher Ms. Fatima to the third year room. Unfortunately, when we got there, a substitute teacher was there. As explained by the sub-teacher, he is handing the student a seat work asked by the assigned teacher. Ma’am Fatima informed us about it, and we decided instead to go to her class for our observation. We did explain to her that we cannot observe will enough if we don’t see an actual class that conduct a discussion inside the room. So, Ms. Fatima approved our request. For one hour, we observed her class and the way she conducted a lesson. Together with this, Ms. Namraida, the next teacher of the Grade V-Seabourgium let us observe her class in the Science subject for another one hour.
After observing inside the class, we roamed around to see everything in their school. I was thinking that we needed to see everything inside this school because the observation we will have in that moment will be more applicable in the Field Studies. For a few minutes, we three walked around and gathered data as per needed in the requirements. We see many things, and learn something on that day.
I appreciate the way they welcome us in that school, and wishing that this kind of accommodating atmosphere is also welcome to other school in order to give a room to a new knowledge for the people like us, who is just learning the Education Field.
Be guided by these tasks as you do your observation. Then accomplish the matrix to record your data.
- Look at the walls of the classroom. What are posted on the walls? What heroes, religious figures, lessons, visual aids, and announcements do you see posted?
- Examine how the pieces of furniture are arranged. Where is the teacher’s table located? How are the tables and chairs/desks arranged?
- What learning materials/equipment are present?
- Is the room well-lighted and well-ventilated?
CLASSROOM FACILITES MATRIX
|Classroom Facilities||Description (Location, number, arrangement, condition)|
||There were quite displays in the room, but you can count them by the hands. Some of them were entertaining when you look at them. The condition of this display materials were still at its good condition.|
||A table enough for the teacher to put his/her materials in one place. This is located at the left side of the blackboard facing the students.|
||The learner’s desk is well provided, and well equipped for the students to use while learning. Setting arrangement was done by their teacher for a certain purpose.|
||The Black board is well maintained, and when we got there it’s very cleaned and ready for the lesson to be written on that day!|
||These materials were very colourful, but for some reason, it isn’t enough in order to fill the students with a more uplifting atmosphere to them.|
||This is located near the Grade V’s door, it has three tier shoe rock that can accommodate all the students’ shoe.|
||The ceiling is will build, and will paint. No sign of licks when the rain starts to pour down.|
||They have two fluorescent in there and it can bring a well ventilated light for the children during dark cloud appear in the sky.|
Read the following statements carefully. Then write your observation report on the provided space.
- Describe the community or neighbourhood where the school is found.
- Describe the school campus. What colors do you see? What is the condition of the building?
- Pass by the offices. What impression do you have these offices?
- THE RC-AKIC SLS School is located near at the High-way of Sarimanok. In the left side of the school is a Shell Station. A few blocks from the school in the right side is another school. The school guards must be will in looking after the kids of going out since outside is a highway, where in some drivers are driving in a fast pace. So the school need to be more extra careful for the kids.
- This school is new and from the way it looks the building construction is still at its good condition. Upon entering the school, you will notice a wide area in a rectangular shape, composed of elementary class rooms and room offices. At the center of this building is a stairs going up to their secondary classrooms that form a small rectangular shape. The colour of the school is quite good since it has an inviting aura. The buildings have this flesh kind of paints all over the campus. At the center of this building there are some other parts that aren’t well cemented, which gave a hard time for the cars to parked in and kind of messy for the students once the school is off.
- For me they are not well organized. There is that one certain building there, where it composed of six rooms, and these rooms are not all for class rooms. It is mixed. One room, is for Senior Kindergarten the other is for Junior Kindergarten, next is the cashier’s office, registrar’s office, and two remaining were elementary classrooms. A certain room were composed of three divisions, clinic room, administrative room and either that one was for visual or audio, and they were divided by a partition. The next room I did notice was the faculty area. What I appreciate in there was the male and female faculties, where they are being separated by a partition as well. The Principals desk is mixed to those faculty members who make her having no privacy in terms of doing here school works, entertaining guest especially for school related, making a private decision in relation to school/personnel with some administrative officers.
- Aside from what has been indicated in the upper part of this Episode; Prayer Room, Faculty Room, Registrar’s Office, Cashier’s Office, Computer Laboratory.
Walk through the school halls, the library, and the cafeteria. Look around and find out the other facilities that the school has.
SUMMARY OF OBSERVATIONS
How do the school campus and the classroom in particular impact on the learning of the students going to school? What are your conclusions?
- The school campus and the classroom should be covered in an atmosphere conducive for the learning students. The reason for this is that, the school is a community where they need to learn. If the place is somewhat messy, and everything seems to be not in place, it will be a problem for the students in their part. Instead of learning, they will just develop a headache from this typical set up. School should be filled with a community that is peace and loving, because that is their right. As for the status of the AKIC-SLS, from my own observation, their campus and their classroom could be rated as a good standard. They have students that are very lively, which can be presume that this kids are satisfied from what the school could give. The surrounding is well maintained as per observation on that day.
How does this relate to your knowledge of child and adolescent development/How does this relate to your knowledge of facilitating learning?
- In regards to child and adolescent development, they should be developing in a certain community where they can learn freely, and not coerced by some people within the area. This school is a typical school that concerns on their learner’s best interest. Observing from the surrounding, the school is trying to provide them the best facilities the administration could give to them. The faculties facilitate their lesson to the learners the best way as they could. As per the rights of the Students according to the right of the children and young person, this school is trying to follow it as much as they can.
- Would you like to teach in the school environment you observed? Why?
- In a greater sense, yes, I would likely to teach in the said school. I could say that the school is well equipped in terms of materials. Teachers and other administrators are very well accommodating that could possibly give a boost up in pursuing my interest in teaching the young minds. Students are naughty but they can easily be taught with appropriate tools they needed. More or less it will be an interesting, and fun experience if indeed I’ll go out there and teach!
- What Kind of School Campus is conducive to learning?
- Based on what I observed and ideas i gathered, a school campus can be conducive if they indeed have the facilities that are needed by the school for there learner, more training ground for the students to test their minds and skills. Along with this, is a well-organized campus, free from any elements that can be a disturbance to the learning process of the students.
- What kind of classroom is conducive to learning?
- In the classroom part, the learning could be conducive if the teacher themselves is well equipped. Having a good moral, values, and well knowledge on the rights of his/her students, and more or less well informed about his/her students need. Enthusiasm and motivation from the teacher is needed in order to convey that aura to their student to increase their desire to learn as well. The materials used for display inside the classroom should be rightful chosen, were the student can pick an information from their daily school life. Classroom must also be well organized, and everything is at its place, well ventilated and clean.
- In the future, how can you accomplish your answer in number 3?
- If teaching is my calling, I will equip myself at hand on the things I needed. I don’t like to go out there without any strategies or objective for my students for their learning. I want the student to have the greatest learning experience they could have while. Being young is a once in a life time opportunities, this is the reason why I would love to be at my best.
- Write your additional learning and insights here.
- In this kind of experience, I indeed learn something that isn’t available in my college days. It gave me an idea what a teachers life is, the importance of touching young mind, and how a teacher should be more sensitive in the needs of her/his students. The teachers hold whatever the student will become off. Teacher hold that part in their growth, and for this, they should be more aware of. This experience made me aware of many things, like the right of the children, how they should be handled, and how the school works. I could say at this moment that teaching is not an easy task, but a true noble profession.
Note: (attach pictures here your visit)