This post is based on my field study that I did conduct last three months for the year 2014. You may seem not to approve some of this idea, but please correct me if I am wrong. Most of the things contain here were based on my own opinion. I am very welcome to some ideas that you may share on this subject matter. Thank you and hope it will be a help for those people in search for the same studies.
For this concept, go through the following steps.
- Interview a school administrator / faculty about how they concertize their school’s vision and goals into the curriculum.
- Visit a school and find out how they attain the aims of elementary, secondary and tertiary education.
- Interview one or two students and ask them their school’s vision / mission.
- Record the different methods. Strategies that they employed to attain their school’s objectives
For this Episode, visit a school / university or get a copy of the school brochure. Copy the school / university’s vision, mission and goals on this page.
A Globally Competitive Institution of Higher Learning. Distinguished by its commitment to the total development of man through quality education. Islamic values and Advance learning concepts, methods and systems.
The RC-AL Khwarizmi International College shall provide high quality of advance, professional and technical education to Muslims and other youths in the Philippines thereby serving as a catalyst of Development of the Muslim Communities especially in the ARMM through instruction research and extension services.
- How important is the school’s vision, mission, and goals in designing the curriculum?
- In human life, a goal/plan should be created in order to have his/her guide on how her/his life supposed to be or how s/he wants it to be. A curriculum should be in the same status. An objective is needed in order to direct the change in behaviour of the students which is the aim of learning, to change a person to a better citizen. A curriculum should entail this, and in order to create a path for a certain objective, they need to create a vision that redirects the institutions would be like to be in the future. A mission that aims the student on what they will become after being educated, and a goal that tends to set the intents of those things to be accomplished.
- What methods and strategies were employed by the school community to realize these goals?
- As per observed at their institution, they are providing all the necessities that the students needs, for them to learn in an ease environment. Other than this, they mostly employed teachers who are highly qualified and well motivated to teach the learner what they supposed to know. The administrators were also doing as much as they could to communicate some educators outside the Philippine in order to send the highly qualified students to the United States of America to learn more. In terms of their students, they seem to be vibrant kids, full of enthusiast. Confidence can be sense from them and inside the class; they wear a brimming energy of interest in learning.
- How did the students manifest that they have internalized their vision, mission and goals?
- As seen in the third year pearl, students were giving out a well mannered attitude as model students. You can sense how well they put/pose their self in a more professional way even they were just a third year student. The principal, Ms. Imelda Mamangconi was always praise this set of group for being doing well in their academic status, and it can also be seen in the observation we did see on that day. Due to excellence that they are projecting, some of them were given the opportunity to be sent in the USA to learn further.
My Reflections/My Insights
Curriculum is a life blood of education as I perceive as I’ve learned gradually in Educ 15s. The important aspect in learning. Upon creating this so called curriculum. Administrator of a certain school should implement their mission, vision and objective as bases in making/creating good curriculum. The administrators have this responsibility in developing such matter because they are dealing with the interest of their learner, which could affect their whole future.
The school that we did observe were very accommodating, and even gave us permission to roam around their premises. In AKIC-SLS, we roam around in order to observe how they put this VISION, MISSION and GOALS inside the campus, however it was kind of frustrating since it wasn’t displayed anywhere the outskirt of the school except inside the learners’ classroom. So far we indeed observe three sections from elementary and secondary level. Two of the room namely Grade VI and 3rd year level display’s the VISION and MISSION inside the room as a part of their decoration inside the room. However, the display of VISION and MISSION are highly advice to place these aspects about the school inside the premises of the campus in order to be transparent to its reader especially for those parents. Furthermore, the school should as well put the GOAL/OBJECTIVE inside the campus and in the classroom. This school failed to implement this important aspect in promoting the school, as well as instilling to the young minds of their children for guidance throughout their school life.