This post is based on my field study that I did conduct last three months for the year 2014. You may seem not to approve some of this idea, but please correct me if I am wrong. Most of the things contain here were based on my own opinion. I am very welcome to some ideas that you may share on this subject matter. Thank you and hope it will be a help for those people in search for the same studies.
To reach my target, I should do these steps:
- Observe a class.
- Identify the curriculum design used by schools.
- Reflect and write my insights/learning gained from the activities.
A curriculum can be organized either horizontally or vertically. Write samples of them on the illustrations.
TASK 1: Listen to the text. Take note of examples of intolerance discrimination and prejudice.
TASK 2: Recall the bases of evaluating the relevance and validity of ideas.
- Your personal observation or experience
- Personal interviews with knowledgeable person or authoritative sources
- Current publications and other reference materials.
TASK 3: Do you agree that…(Ask the student to explain his/her answer.
- “One reason fights are started is that one person cannot let another be different.”
- “We do not carry much of the prejudice and discrimination of yesteryears.”
- “Today we have become tolerant of others.”
1st year Grammar: Use indirect discourse to report request to commands and advice.
- Divide the class into small groups and have them give the advice, commands or requests they would give or make in these situation (direct discourse). The other groups are to give in reported speech what was said.
- Transformation drill on direct and indirect discourse (Imperatives: requests, commands, advice) in problem situations.
2nd year Grammar: Direct and reported Speech Giving Instructions, Commands, Request.
Activities: Transform the following direct statements to reported statements.
3rd years Grammar: Give and follow instructions using direct and reported speech.
Activities: Round table discussion about agreeing and disagreeing in a given topic.
4th year Grammar:
- Make requests, commands using indirect speech.
- Give an advice and get things done using reported speech.
- Changing Imperatives from direct to indirect discourse
- Giving advice and instructions to get things done.
A spiral concept of the curriculum provides for both horizontal (widening of knowledge) and vertical (deepening of knowledge) aspects of the curriculum design simultaneously. The figure below shows the concept of horizontal and vertical articulation from preschool to adult.
- Examine the Basic Education Curriculum. What aspect do you want to modify. Why?
- The Basic Education Curriculum that was mentioned from the facts that I did read contains a very concise and direct way of handling students in relation to their own learning, it almost cover all aspect of developing the kids into a rightful citizen of the Philippines. However, from all that details given in the said curriculum, I guess there is something that should be addressed that I want it to be modified in this kind of curriculum. I wanted to give an indication on the objective of this curriculum. I would like to add and give a big importance on the spiritual aspect of the students. Since, I am a Muslim born, and my knowledge in relation to my religion is not wide enough, and for this reason there is lacking in me that taught me the importance of God in our life. In the part of the students, while they are young it is an opportunity to teach them religion in a high regard and integrate it with every lesson.
- What curriculum models do you prefer? Why?
- From the three designs that were mentioned in the book, I prefer Problem-Centered Design, which draws on social problems, needs, interest and abilities of the learners. I love to implement this kind of design in a certain curriculum because of its salient feature that tries to let the students’ abilities blossom into a full realization. Students today don’t like to spoon feeding type of learning; they want challenges in a certain manner, something new that they can set their motivation on. Creating such atmosphere will give them a boost to realize their realization on a certain act. Through this kind of curriculum, the learner will be totally introduce to a more real life situation that will not caught unprepared in the future they want partake.
My Reflections/ My Insights
Make an illustration of any of the three curriculum design models. Be sure to incorporate the salient features of the design.
The multimedia-oriented Problem-Based Learning curriculum model