My Concrete Experience
- Who am I as a person? Do I have personal qualities that would make me a better teacher someday?
- With the use of the checklist find out your personal characteristics which would help you make become a good teacher. The qualities listed are few of the many attributes needed but the list given you would suffice.
Look into yourself very well and answer each item very honestly. All your answers are correct, so you do need to worry.
AM I THIS PERSON?
Below are indicators of personal qualities which may describe you. Place a ___ mark on the blank before each item if the indicator gits you most of the time or an ___ mark if the description does not fit you most of the time.
Number of checks in each cluster (Min-1 to Max 5)
Your concrete experience, enabled you to describe, what you are as a person. The qualities reflect who you are. Make a similar observation of ten active teachers in a school. Your observation will be done through a survey and will produce empirical evidences. This observation method will enhance your skills to collect data, like when you doing research.
You will be provided with a Survey Checklist for you to produce 10 copies for your 10 respondent teachers. (They are on the last pages of this workbook). Make a proper request from these teachers who will become your respondents.
The Observed Information
- To get the average, add the scores of the ten teachers and divide by 10.
- Look at the legend in your own checklist, and determine the description of the average.
Study the results.
- Which of the twelve attributes is the highest among the teachers?
- Among the 12 attributes, buoyancy is the one that excel from among the high description with point one as a difference.
- Which of the twelve attributes is the lowest among the teachers?
- The self-confidence is having the lowest among the 12 with 3.5 as an average.
- How many teachers are low in emotional stability?
- Teacher Number 3 was the only one who has the lowest grade in terms of emotional stability.
- How many teachers are high in compassion?
- Most of the teachers already reach the very high in compassion; meanwhile two of them didn’t reach that peek.
- What six attributes are found to be strong among the teachers?
- Based on the Average of the whole attributes these six attributes are buoyancy, objectiveness, compassion, emotional stability, refinement and comparativeness with a tie total with that of Reliability
- What six attributes are found to be weal among the teachers?
- As the opposite answer in number seven, these six attributes with a weak average are the self-confidence, self-motivation, intelligence, pleasantness, and comparativeness as well reliability can also be consider as one of them.
- What interesting observations can you spot from the other data not asked?
- The cooperativeness in answering the questionnaire makes me so thankful to the teachers who answered it wilfully.
- Happy. This is the one factor that I could consider that would bring your class in a good atmosphere and soothing for learning because learners drawn with this kind of aura.
Use the information from your personal results and those of the ten teachers in making your reflections that follow.
After studying the results of your teacher survey, write down your reflection on the following situations reported to have happened in the school setting.
- Why are some teachers reported to have bumped a learner’s head on the wall or made a child swallow scratch paper or pencil filings? What attribute do you think is low for this teacher?
- Emotional Stability. Based on the checklist under this attribute, it is all stated there the things that relates with a teacher’s temper. Once a teacher doesn’t have this kind of trait, they tend to do this without thinking too much. We cannot avoid losing our temper in some action as a person, but the thing is, we need to place them in an appropriate place. For this reason, a teacher should act and be more or less a mother that can stop their children without putting them in too much pressure. They are a child, making them swallow scratch paper or pencil filings as form of punishment will just make them loose their confidence that would affect them in the future.
- Why do you think some teachers are better loved by students than others?
- In order to attract students, you need to have a heart and a certain attitude that would attract them. From among the attributes, I would say a teacher need to reach a high level of COMPASSION and OBJECTIVENESS. As a teacher you need to be at your best at anytime, you need to have happy disposition and appreciate students within your class. A Happy disposition can attract people, and this is also applicable with the students. One said that children are the best one to sense the feeling of others around them. So giving them an atmosphere that give them an ease, and learn the meaning of positive living will give them a boost to make their life in a better. A better influence will also be spread to the students, who will be drawn by this kind of feeling. As a teacher, you need to be more objective. Treating a certain situation in fairness is a must, in order for them to feel of being judged fairly, and will not lose their confidence in a certain situation. Children also need to be brought up in a way that they could learn a high value of fairness, and to whom they could look up to this aside from their parents? Their teacher.
- If you were to choose, which personal attributes should all teachers possess? Why?
- I would say, a teacher should have a compassion, emotional stability, and self confidence. A teacher should have a heart. What’s good of having a brain with the heart that is full of nothingness? We, human are very expressive people towards other person. This is the reason why s/he needs to reach them through kindness, and our heart needs to function in a way that could understand the human heart. In the future, we need some people who need to spread love around the people, kindness towards others and a teacher could teach that to the students. A self restrain is needed in order to reach what we want for others. Unselfishness is also a must, so anger should be put in the appropriate situation. To act kindness and the courage to control your anger, self confidence is a must. Doubting once self of acting goodness to other is a toxic why of thinking. Confidence is needed in order to implement an effective teaching to ones’ students.
My Affirmed Concepts
After reflecting on this episode and recalling my previous subjects, I have realized that there are several concepts in the teaching profession about personal attributes. I learned that has been affirmed and confirmed, examples of which are given below:
- When I was a student, I look up for those teachers who taught me as someone to be always prepared, and that they are the same from inside the classroom and outside, but it was not. From this experience alone, I did observe a teacher who was very different when she handled the class from the way she acted outside. This teacher holds out a humble and weak personality outside the class as I perceive it, but when she is inside the room, she is boosting with confidence. Her teaching style is very admirable since she can hide those weaknesses when she is in front of her students. As a part of the attitudes, this self-confidence is important enough in delivering your lesson to your students in order for them to be drawn by your teaching skill. I did realize this part after observing this certain teacher, which I really appreciate the way she handle herself in front of many learners and made me think of how this thing is important.
- There was an instant where a teacher suddenly called out those noisy kids inside the classroom and let them ask to go outside at the school were we currently observing. This teacher does this as punishment for those noisy kids. I didn’t experienced this when I was a student myself, but I did observe this kind of treatment from a teacher back then, who uses this style to punish them. Sometimes, there are those students who really are noisy, even how a teacher disciplined and warned them, they just do it. I could not blame the teacher for doing this like of punishment due to the reason that they can no longer handle this kind of attitude in class. Adopting this kind of punishment is better than hitting the kids with eraser nor making them ate some pencil filing to make this shut,
My Future Application
Using what I have learned in this episode, when I become a teacher, I should learn some of this attributes in order to implement this to my students. If God’s well that I’ll be a lecturer to some learners, I would like to learn this attributes and have a restrain factor with my temper when I become one. One thing that I have learned from this episode is that, teaching should have a heart. Teaching doesn’t only mean just teaching, but it is further than this kind of thing. It made me understand the real meaning of being a teacher is to have a good value within thy self as a teacher. In this way, I became more aware of what are the things I should do for myself that would be applied to my students. Starting on this day, I need to have a self evaluation, and consider this attributes to be enhanced as I go along with this line of profession. In the near future, I would love to teach kids and make them realize of those beautiful things in this world, and become more positive in life. Fate will bring us all to the places where we should be, and I am praying to Allah (swt) that if this is good for me, hope He will fulfill my desire to help myself and become a tool for a change through imparting knowledge to the young ones.