My Concrete Experience
This activity will enable you to ask yourself about the different future practices or actions that you will do in teaching. You may not have done it yet, but if you become a teacher what do would be your response to each item? Your answers will identify what your philosophy of education is all about.
Answer each item in the Survey Questionnaire very honestly. There is no right nor wrong answer for each item. After you have answered each item, record your answers and look at the interpretation at the back of this work text.
After you have answered the questionnaire yourself, you are to ask two teachers to do the same activity.
WHAT IS YOUR PHILOSOPHY F EDUCATION
(based on Sadker & Sadker, 1998 Teachers, Schools and Society, 2nd ED)
Each of us has a philosophy of education or a set of fundamental beliefs regarding how we think schools should run. What is your philosophy of education? To find out, read each of the following statements about the nature of education. Decide whether you agree or disagree with each statement. Use the following numbers to express your response:
4 Agree Strongly 2 Disagree
3 Agree 1 Disagree strongly
Photocopy two copies of this instrument. Request two teachers to answer the remaining questionnaire. Tabulate all the answers in the Matrix provided.
Now that you have responded to all 40 times, write the number of the response to each statement in the matrix below. Add the numbers in each column to determine your attitude and those of the two teachers toward key educational philosophies.
Among the three of you, who is more inclined to be an essentialist, perennialist, progressivist, essentialist or behaviourist?
- I and the teacher number 1 are the one who are inclined to be more essentialists.
- Teacher number 2 is the one who is incline to be more perennialists.
- Teacher number 1 is the one who got the total of 30 is incline to be more progressivist.
- I got a point of 24 which indicated that I am inclining to be an essentialist.
- Teacher number 1 got the highest with 25 as the total score which indicates that she is inclined to be a behaviourist teacher.
Visit a teacher in a school and observe what school/classroom activities reflect his/her philosophy of education while she is teaching. Identify and describe teacher’s action or behaviour and match each with the identified educational philosophy.
- Observed actions of a teacher who is a progressivist:
- The teacher that I could possibly site as an example in this philosophy was Ms. Rash. She is a Math teacher that applies more on examples that the students complied to answer in regards with their understanding on the subject matter. Her tactics is, after discussing the lesson, she would then write some problems at the board and later on the discussion she would call a student to answer the problem and make them explain it in front of their classmates. She is somehow trying to in calculate a critical thinking of ability in them.
- Observed actions of a teacher who is a behaviourist:
- I could not totally make a 100% assumption, but the way I view it, the principal at AKIC-SLS was an example of a teacher that hold out this kind of philosophy of teaching in her. During our days of observation, I did notice that Ma’am would always state a certain students who excel in the whole high school department and uplifts their particular achievements, as well as their capabilities in us. She was very proud making some of her students to experience a change of environment through sending some of them in the United States of America as exchange students.
Based on your concrete experience and the actions of the teacher you have observed, how important is your philosophy of education to your future career as a teacher? How would your experiences and observations contribute to your becoming a teacher?
- In order to become a teacher with a vocation and mission to change something within the society. I could say, I need to do a lot of things in order to reach the part where I can confidently provide my students of those things they needed, and through experience I could possibly relate more, see more in them the kind of philosophy that could be more applicable in a certain set of students that would fit.
- Philosophy is very important as a guide in providing a student’s a quality of learning. Teachers needed to consider the individual differences of her/his students and used the best method for them to learn, choosing a certain philosophy might direct them and motivate them to learn more on the subject matter that you would choose for them. The teachers’ priority is the teaching method and strategies that befitting for her/his students, because we are preparing them to face the reality of the world.
My Affirmed Concepts
Identify at least three concepts learned in your previous subject like “The Teaching Profession which are related to the Experiential Learning Episode 3 (Teaching Belief/Philosophy) that are confirmed or affirmed in this activity? Enumerate.
- Affirmed Concept 1
That the teachers are following a certain philosophies which I believed before that teaching was something you teach kids without any of these, and now it was affirmed to me that using philosophy in teaching is a requirements to be a good teacher.
- Affirmed Concept2
It was affirmed to me that that the school we are observing, the teacher specifically was using a certain philosophy. One person that I affirmed who uses a progressivist was Ms. Rashidah R. Rashid, who is a Math Teacher and a graduate of education, who could totally understand what are the type of philosophy she’s going to use in applying her teaching. Since she is math teacher, she was using that mentioned philosophy in her kids since it is implying the attitude of living NOW. Her teaching is by living at the PRESENT!
- Affirmed Concept 3
In the surveyed questionnaire that was given to a two teachers and for me to answers, it was affirmed that everyone is entitled with their own opinion of a certain subject matter. After collecting the data, these three persons results a different sum total, which shows what kind of philosophy they are inclined to be. From different point of views in this subject matter, it can easily be seen that each of us can bring different philosophy to the students, that could possibly a causes of our own believe and idea on a certain situation. This makes every individual to be more unique.
My Future Application
Using the first hand experiences in this activity, how will I use these when I become a teacher in the future?
- In teaching learning teacher needs to consider mostly what their students do need in relation to their subject matters. The application of your teaching and how you present them to a set of learners affect their interest. You have to be keener on how you will deliver as their learning is the priorities among others in education.
- In addressing diversity learners a teacher need to adopt and choose the kind of philosophy that is more applicable in a certain group of learners.
- In creating a conducive learning environment you have to look on the environment of the students. If a teacher realizes that the kinds of environment is not suitable for her learners and the methods she is using, then its time for her/him to look on the alternatives to make some changes. In regards to teaching, the teacher needs to look carefully on the “how to teach” of a certain philosophy in order to integrate it with the current environment they have.